Oct 13, 2010

A Devotion

Dearest Readers,

A friend recommended a lovely and encouraging devotion, sent to you everyday by e-mail. Here is a devotional that is definitely something to ponder:
Parents

by Heather Hart

"Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise-- "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."

Ephesians 6:2-3

Did you just sigh? This is one of those verses that sometimes we would rather just ignore, right? Well, we can't do that. This is part of God's Word, and all of God's Word is important. Plus, this is the first commandment with a promise! The first four commandments don't have promises (that's just the way it is), but when we get to this one, God tells us that if we follow this, that we will enjoy life. Why is that? For one thing, if we obey our parents, life at home will be a lot more pleasing! They will be happier, thus we will be happier. It might not be fun to clean our room, or fold the laundry, but we can do these things with a happy heart because we know that doing them not only pleases our parents, but pleases God too!

Honoring our father and mother is more than just doing what they say. It also means that we don't talk bad about them to our friends, or yell at them. We need to remember that our words are powerful, and God only wants us to say things that are beneficial to those around us (Eph. 4:29). We also need to remember that we are to be content in every circumstance (Phi. 4:11), and always willing to go the extra mile (Matt. 5:41).

Reflection:

Do you honor your parents with your actions, words, and heart?

Application Step:

Today, work at honoring your parents. Don't talk back, do what they say, and smile at them. Pray for them that they can be the parents that God wants them to be (and if they aren't believers, pray for their salvation!). Try to something today that you know will make your parents happy without them having to tell you.

Prayer:

Father God, thank you for my parents. Thank you that they work so hard for me, help me to honor them. Help me to love them. Please bless them and help them to be the parents that you want them to be. Help me to respect them, and be a blessing to them. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Many Blessings,
Grace

3 comments:

  1. You are exactly right, Grace! Thank you for the thoughts and the prayer. I am struggling with this right now. Not the talking back or disobediance, but when my parents ask me to do a chore, I grumble in my heart. Please pray that the Lord might show mercy to me in overcoming.

    Also please forgive me for not writing for so long... we have been kinda buisy.

    Love you; God bless
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grace,
    *wink* Thanks for your note! You know, I still don't know how to make blog buttons...=) I'm just technically ignorant in that area. One of my blogging friends made them "technical" buttons for me. You might try googling how to make them or ask another blogger who has real genuine buttons. Sorry I couldn't help more! I hope you have a extra lovely autumn-y weekend. It's starting to get quite the chill where I am...
    Love From Your Sis,
    -Bess-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are enjoying them Grace! They are a blessing to me too! :)
    Have a lovely day!
    Love,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete